For years, occupational therapists have been using sensory swings as a way to teach an individual how a body and mind work together. They provide support to the vestibular system and proprioceptive input, which stimulates your child's senses to filter and organize sensory input. Children with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) particularly have a hard time dealing with this overflow of information and stress on the nervous system. This usually leads to sensory meltdowns.
This is what inspired us to to serve you our SenseSwings. It calms the "fight or flight" mentality and makes them feel safe, soothing their overall stimulated senses. A developed vestibular system from the swinging motion allows them to navigate our environment with confidence, because our brain now knows exactly where the body is in relation to other objects. You can teach your child to develop this confidence with vestibular stimulating activities. The stronger their association becomes with the swing, the better their balance becomes.
HOW DO YOU USE IT?
NOTE: The swing can hold a maximum of 80kg. Do not put more than that or the swing and the rope will be at risk of breaking. This swing is not safe to sleep in.
In the package, you should receive:
- 1 x Calming Sensory Therapy Swing
- 2 x String
- 1 x Carabiner
Please understand that we do not include the swing frames at this time. This is due to shipping regulations especially due to the COVID-19 pandemic as shipping larger packages have become increasingly expensive. You can find any swing frame at your local hardware store that supports over 80kg of weight.
Tools that are recommended (not included, only for indoors):
- Stud finder
- Metal protector plate (drill, bits, screwdriver)
- Eye bolt
These tools can be found at your local hardware store or on Amazon.
STEP BY STEP:
There are multiple ways to attach the swing. If you want to install yours indoors, you would need something sturdy to attach it to (either your ceiling or for example, a pull up bar)
1. Firstly, take out all the components of the package along with any of the recommended tools.
You need an eye bolt or a metal stud protector plate (can be found in any hardware store) that can be drilled to your ceiling for the swing to hang on)
2. You want to attach the swing to the one of the ropes first. You can create a sturdy knot to attach the rope to the swing.
3. Attach the carabiner to the rope.
4. Use a stud finder to find where the stud on the ceiling is to understand where the wooden joist is located to install your drills.
5. You can either install an eye bolt OR a metal stud protector plate that has a hook installed and install it so that it hits the wooden joist of your ceiling.
6. Attach the carabiner to the hook.
7. If your swing is too long/short, adjust then length of the rope based off your preference by adding another knot the the rope and connecting the ropes together before attaching the carabiner.
Pull Up Bar:
2. You want to attach the swing to the rope first. You can create a sturdy knot to attach the rope to the swing.
3. Attach the carabiner or a sturdy strap to the rope.
4. You are going to use the carabiner or the strap to hang on to the pull up bar. You can also treat the pull up bar similar to the tree trunk example provided below.
You can use this video as reference on how it can look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aW54KF0sjc
2. The most common method is to attach it to a tree branch. Find one that is sturdy which has good width and length.
3. Loop the first rope over the branch with a simple knot (can be an overhand, just make sure that it is durable) to the desired length.
4. Attach the carabiner that is attached to the swing and adjust if necessary.
- If the fabric stretches too much, the fabric will likely shrink a little when washed with hot water. We are currently working on a solution to double layer our fabric to provide a more durable and less stretchy swing.
- It can also be used outdoors on a swing set or over a sturdy tree branch. PLEASE make sure that the tree branch is thick and sturdy enough to hold the weight of the child without the risk of breaking!
- We recommend it to be used inside to get more longevity out of the swing.